Varicose Vein Surgery
There are three surgical options for Varicose Veins;
- Ligation – tying off the vein
- Stripping – removal of a segment of vein
- Ambulatory phlebectomy – removing large superficial veins through a tiny incision
- Day procedure
- Total eradication of vein removed
- Quicker healing than sclerotherapy for very large veins
How It Works
The vein is removed through one or multiple small incisions.
What To Expect
This surgery is performed at the hospital as day surgery. You may receive a general anesthetic or local anesthetic with mild sedation.
Results are excellent.
Depending on type of surgery, you can expect 1 – 2 weeks off work.
Will require sclerotherapy to complete treatment for desired results. You are encouraged to improve lifestyle factors to prevent progression of venous disease.
- Wear 20 mmHg – 30 mmHg compression stockings
- Exercise regularly
- Drink lots of water
- Eat well and maintain a healthy weight
- Leg elevation